Monday, September 27, 2010

Charlie Davies recounts the moment he regained consciousness after his accident: "I'm in a hostel and they're trying to steal my organs"


The pictures speak for themselves. On October 13, 2009, Charlie Davies found himself in a horrific car crash, which claimed the life of one of the passengers. His injuries blow your mind and make you wonder how he is still alive: broken tibia and fibula, broken femer, lacerated bladder, fractured and dislocated left elbow, shattered nose, cheeks and forehead (for which they pulled down skin from the top of his head down to the chin to reconstruct). He probably has more metal in his body now than Wolverine.

Somehow, some way, Davies has recovered in a shockingly short time frame. He has already played a number of matches for the Sochaux reserve team and hopes to be back fully fit to play again for the United States in next year's Gold Cup.
In an interview on World Football Daily last week, Charlie went into chilling detail about the very first moments when he regained consciousness after the accident:

"I woke up and I was in the hospital. I had no idea where I was, though. I thought I was actually in Honduras. And I looked down and the first thing I saw was all these staples down my stomach, and the first thought that ran through my head was 'I'm in a hostel and they're trying to steal my organs.'

So I started to take the staples out of my stomach, and I maybe got to the fifth one and said okay, I'm gonna try and make a run for it now. And as soon as I raised up a little a nurse saw me and sprinted over. She told me [I] was in a serious car accident and that I was in Washington DC. That's when it all hit me."
 
If that doesn't make your spine tingle, I don't know what else could.

Charlie Davies is an extremely lucky man to be with us today. Throughout the rest of the interview, he amazed me with his positive attitude and his fighting spirit. He understands the ramifications of his actions, and can only grow from the new outlook he has on life. Best wishes to Charlie for a speedy recovery.

And as for all you readers, a simple word of advice: while we grovel at the feet of our footballing heroes every weekend and make light of their social lives, a large majority of them are stupid and irresponsible. All too often we've seen cars ripped to shreds by footballers speeding home, some drunk. So do yourselves a favor. Wear a seat belt, don't drink and drive, and aspire to be the complete opposite of every "too cool for school" footballer out there.

And to be fair and accurate - Davies was not driving nor was he under the influence of alcohol or any drug at the time.

No comments: